28/01/2013

Black Bean Chocolate Cookies

I don't think I've ever posted anything actually food related on here, but hey first time for everything right?
These power-packs are my adaptation of this recipe at Green Kitchen Stories I recently found. I had never even thought that you could actually use black beans in baking as a flour supplement. At first I was slightly sceptic and on my first round trying to make these (these are Try n.2) I even put chocolate chunks into the mix since I was kind of afraid the black beans would be too empowering. They ended up being very very chocolatey and gooey and well gorgeous but maybe a bit too much even on my standards.
Which is why this time I decided to go a bit wild and experiment with the recipe more, which I think was a great choice! These cookies are just great power snacks since black beans are to be considered super food with pretty much only good stuff in them and I used hardly any sugar while making these, next time I think I'll leave it out completely.

170g(drained) black beans
2-3tbsp coconut oil
2tbsp nut butter (I used peanut butter)
2-3tbsp soy milk (or any plant milk)
Sugar substitutes:
2-3tbsp agave syrup
2-3 dried dates
0,5dl coconut shreds
+ 2tbsp brown sugar
4tbsp cacao powder
2tbsp rice flour
1-2tbsp almond flour
1tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
+ whatever you feel like, on half of these I put some chopped pecan nuts, but chocolate, other nuts, dried fruits etc would probably be great as well.

Preheat the oven in 180°C. Rinse the beans in cold water and drain them. Put the beans in a blender(or use a wand processor+bowl) with oil, nut butter, milk, agave syrup and the dates, blend till smooth. Mix all the ingredients still left together and add in to the mixture. Mix in the blender till combined(or use a spatula if working with a bowl). The batter should be like thick mouse. Drop a couple of spoonfuls in piles(should make around 9-12 small cookies) on a baking tray lined whit baking sheet and flatten them up and mold them with a silicone spatula. You can add the nuts/chocolate/dried fruits on top of the cookies or just throw them in the batter mix. I found adding them after molding the cookies easier. Bake for 15-18 minutes. Take them out and let them set for a few minutes before transferring them on a rack to cool.

I think I might start posting about some of the foods I try and make on daily basis. Mostly just to keep a record on the recipes I try but maybe they might also spark someones attention(?).

No comments:

Post a Comment